Center for Healthy Conflict management/Job description for steering committee
- Goal: Develop a platform for improving the conflict competence of residents and organizations in Holmes and Wayne Counties. This will be achieved by:
- Networking: Identify and match current community assets (people/ organizations/resources) with community needs and opportunities
- Training: Develop capacity within individuals and organizations to address and manage conflict in healthy ways.
- Services: Respond to conflicts (families, businesses, churches, courts, neighbors) with tools like: facilitation, mediation, arbitration, circles, etc.
- Focus on the Holmes and Wayne counties
- Rooted in Christian faith and values, serving all faiths and backgrounds
- Organic (image of planting a seed), means taking time, not pushing for funding or relying heavily on capital
- Not rushing to articulate too much vision/direction before allowing the community to determine itself what it needs
- Non-profit is the preferred structure to pursue
Composition of Steering Committee
- 8-12 members
- Target launch date: February 2015
- Frequency of meetings: 10 Monthly meetings each year (taking a break in July and December) to be held at a central location yet to be determined
- Diverse group reflecting the broader community (see matrix for details)
- 2-year commitment
- Persons who have vested interest
Initial focus and responsibilities:
- Formalize vision, focus and possible name
- Clarify needs and opportunities
- Network with people and organizations, build asset map
- Formalize structure and vehicle for the organization to move forward ie. non-profit, partner with another organization, independent, etc.
- Develop training and service opportunities as outlined above